EduOpenLMS is the Learning Management System (LMS) used for the EduOpen Project. It is an OpenLMS (OLMS), particularly suited to the delivery of MOOCs and Blended courses.
EduOpenLMS is based on a standard release of Moodle. So, what is Moodle? Moodle is the most used and powerful Learning Management System worldwide, and it has been adopted by Universities, Schools and Companies alike.
However, Moodle’s standard release is not particularly suited to Massive Open Online Courses or Blended Courses.
The EduOpenLMS project, therefore, was developed by MoodleofIndia – in collaboration with EDUNOVA and the EduOpen partners – with the aim of adding some tools and features to the standard release, thus making it more efficient and comprehensive.
A main goal has been NOT to change or modify Moodle’s core code and to develop some add-ons instead, so as to enhance its functionality and thus meet the requirements for MOOCs and Blended courses.
New features include:
- EduOpen theme: a new theme, specifically developed to show catalogue and courses in an immediate and attractive way. The theme includes home page, catalogue, course description pages, pathway pages, institution pages, …;
- Institution Block: to create, manage and publish Institution pages;
- Pathway Block: to create and manage groups of related courses (Pathways);
- FAQ Block: to create and manage FAQs at different levels (courses, pathways, website);
- Payment Block: to manage payments for the issue of certificates and for registration for courses;
- Catalogue page: to search for and show courses in an efficient way – with respect to payments, languages, categories, institutions, specializations, …;
- Extra Settings for Courses: to add features and detailed descriptions of courses;
- A new and simplified course format;
- A Learning Analytics Block;
- A handy dashboard for seeing each user’s history at a glance;
- Full integration with Bestr, CINECA’s platform for the issue of Open Badges;
- Full integration with IDEM-GARR and EDUGAIN federated identity providers. Students, lecturers and Universities staff in Italy and Europe can use their EduGain credentials to log in;
- Eduplayer, a feature for the publication of video lectures;
- Selfchecklist and Diary to keep track of student achievement;
- Email alert plug-in to send automatic notifications to students;
- Progress bar to check the progress of a course;
- and much more!